Great American Media Services

2022 Midwest Vegetable Guide

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 43 of 291

Pesticide Application and Safety 44 Midwest Veg Guide 2022 Empty Containers Most states have regulations that regulate the disposal of pesticide containers. The regulations often require that hazardous materials containers be disposed of in designated hazardous waste sites unless commercial applicators meet triple-rinsing and other requirements. However, farmers and private applicators may be exempt from the regulations as long as they follow all label instructions when disposing of waste pesticides and containers. Pesticide Poisoning For humans, call the Nationwide Emergency Number at 800- 222-1222. This number will automatically connect you to the poison center nearest you. Personnel at this number will give first aid instructions and direct callers to treatment centers. For immediate emergency treatment or ambulance service, always call 911. For pets, call the Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426- 4435, or the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680. A consultation fee may apply. Pesticide Spills For information about cleaning up or otherwise dealing with non-emergency pesticide spills, you can contact the National Pesticide Information Center at 800-858-7378 and the pesticide manufacturer for SDS and label information. For emergency pesticide spills, pesticide fires, or pesticide transportation accidents first call 911, then call your state agency who handles spill response. • Illinois Emergency Management Agency 800-782-7860 • Indiana Department of Environmental Management 888-233-7745 • Iowa Department of Natural Resources 515-725-8694 • Kansas Department of Health and Environment 785-291-3333 • Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development 800-405-0101 • Minnesota Duty Officer 800-422-0798 • Missouri Department of Natural Resources 573-634-2436 • Ohio Environmental Protection Agency 800-282-9378 When federal notification is required, call the National Response Center at 800-424-8802. Pesticide Use and Greenhouses, Chemigation, and Respirators Before using any pesticide, always read the product label for mention of greenhouse, chemigation, and respirator restrictions. See the tables for Fungicides, Herbicides, Insecticides, and Nematicides. Labels For complete label and Safety Data Sheet (SDS) information, search one of the following databases. To check if a pesticide is registered at the federal level, search this database. To check if a pesticide is registered for your state, search one of the following databases. Most states require a federally registered pesticide to also be registered by the state as well. IA, IN, KS, MN, MO: IA, IN, MI, MN, OH: IL: Product-Results.aspx

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Great American Media Services - 2022 Midwest Vegetable Guide