Printwear

September '15

For the Business of Apparel Decorating

Issue link: http://read.uberflip.com/i/559160

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 18 of 120

16 || P R I N T W E A R S E P T E M B E R 2 0 1 5 wanted the logo as large as possible. We all know what happens when we enlarge 3" to 17": a mess for certain, with rough, hardly-legible images. So, the simple image ended up needing some work. We scanned the sew-out into Photoshop on our desktop flatbed at 200 percent and 600 dpi, in hopes to achieve at least reasonable resolution when we were finished. Also in Photoshop, we cleaned up all the rough edges and made each color solid and opaque. We painted in some areas to make the yellow and blue clean and complete to the outer lines. Pixels will tend to fade off a bit on the edges and won't keep that hard edge after a scan such as this. It is important to adjust the levels and make the blacks very black and the whites very white to create the contrast needed to separate the file. Then, we went into Illustrator where we did the final tweaking. (That's the very technical term.) To get the print quality needed in this case, we cleaned the separated layers up in Illustrator using the direct path tool by straightening and smoothing the edges to our liking. Using our pen tool, we smoothed out our paths and chose spot colors from the swatch pallet. We finally outputted and headed into screen and ink. We wanted only one sep to work on all colors. We built a white printer and highlight to be used on the dark colors and a black to print on everything except the black FROM SOFTWARE TO SUBSTRATE With pre-registration, setup on-press took less than 10 minutes. Off-contact was set using minimum T-shirt distance of about 1/16th of an inch. The author input the original sew-out into Photoshop at 200 percent and 600 dpi in hopes to achieve at least acceptable resolution. The author input the original sew-out into Photoshop at 200 percent Some areas were painted yellow and blue to clean up and complete the outer edges. Some areas were painted yellow and blue to clean up and complete continued on page 111 The silicone ink required that the inks be gelled between each color.

Articles in this issue

view archives of Printwear - September '15